Thursday, January 19, 2012

Lucky

To specify, the type of ectodermal dysplasia that I have is called incontinentia pigmenti. The frequency of this particular kind of E.D. is unknown and is really just specified as rare. In my case, my dentist was the one who diagnosed me (kind of weird, right? a dentist diagnosing a genetic disease mainly known for its dermatological features). This particular kind of E.D. is characterized by skin abnormalities mainly (and lethality in males), also with the possibility of hair loss, dental abnormalities, and eye abnormalities. There is also the risk of IP affecting the brain which can result in delayed development or intellectual disability, seizures, and problems. I've always considered myself lucky when it came to my personal case of IP. My case of inocontinentia pigmenti included eye problems, dental problems, and skin problems. My eyesight is pretty terrible; for quite a few years I had to deal with retinal bleeding and built up scar tissue. My teeth are just as bad: I'm missing ten permanent teeth and ended up growing an extra canine in between my front two teeth when I was little (that made for an embarrassing school photo). My skin isn't terrible, but it still isn't normal: just imagine not having sweat glans, having strips of skin that just won't grow hair, and having your skin randomly flush to reveal an intricate, rash sort of looking pattern every once in a while. Despite this, I really do consider myself lucky. Lack of sweat glans and all, I don't have a sever case. I am perfectly mentally capable, I don't have seizures, and despite my eyes, teeth, and skin issues, it's nothing that I can't handle.



No comments:

Post a Comment