Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Sweating In Alaska

A few days ago, I promised you guys some stories from my Alaska trip as soon as I could get some pictures to go along with them. Well, I finally got a chance to download some photos! So sit down and relax because it is story time.



The only way I can really describe my trip was to say that it was amazing. Of course, the landscape was gorgeous, the people were fantastic, and the feeling of giving back to such a wonderful community was just outstanding. I and a group of eleven others went to Anchorage, Alaska and helped lay down the foundation and the building blocks for a garden for Alaska Child Services and the children in their care. It was just a fantastic experience all around. Now, when it comes like mission trips like this, there are always a couple of moments that seem to stick out more than others, moments that will stay with a person forever. For me, over the course of my trip, there were exactly two moments like that for me: one, when I took part in a sweat lodge, despite my less than adequate ability to sweat, and two, when I climbed a mountain. 

Now something that I want to clarify before diving any deeper into the stories was that with both of these events is that people told me I could not do them. In today's blog, I'm just going to talk about the sweat lodge, but I'll go into climbing the mountain later this week. With the sweat lodge, once the man who in charge of our mission group heard that not all of my sweat glands work, he was ready to drag me kicking and screaming out of that sauna like environment. Unknown to him, however, I can be an extremely stubborn person. Just because my epidermis isn't exactly normal doesn't mean I can't participate in activities that get a little hot. Similarly, just because a boy can't sweat at all doesn't mean he can't play baseball, or just because a man doesn't have teeth or hair doesn't mean he can't become a well known actor (Michael Berryman comes to mind here). Our ED does 
make us different from others, but it doesn't mean we are 
incapable of doing what others can do. We are just like everyone
else, perhaps minus a few teeth. 

Anyway, as I was saying before, I do have a habit of being a 
rather stubborn person at times. I felt like this was an opportunity
that I really shouldn't miss, so I called my mom and once our
group's chaperon heard from her that she thought it was alright
for me to go in as long as I was hydrated and had the opportunity
to leave if I needed, he relaxed. I don't know how to explain the
actual feeling of sitting inside the sweat lodge. The only words that
comes to mind are rejuvenating and a kind of relaxation that 
borders on liberation. Of course it was incredibly hot. There were
ten of us in a room about the size of a non-luxury minivan sitting
around a furnace topped with steaming stones that hissed violently
whenever water hit their surface. We sat in there for an hour and
a half praying (it was a religious experience and a big part of the 
mission trip for us) and it was such a moving event, not only
because it was such an intense form of prayer, but because I was
to actually participate and last through the entire thing. In my
childhood, whenever it would come to sports or the heat, or even
my junior year when I tried out for drum corps, it always came
down to whether or not I'd be able to participate because of my
sweat glands. This time, though, I could feel the heat surrounding
me, seeping into my lungs with every breath I took, and I over
came it. It was the first instance that I can remember where
my genetic disorder didn't play a part in my consideration with
whether or not I should push forward or leave; I just sat and prayed,
and it was wonderful. 

I guess what moved me the most about this experience was that
I felt like I was no longer held back by worry or doubt. Just because
I have ectodermal dysplasia doesn't mean my life has to be different
from anyone else's. And the same goes for everyone else with ED. Just
because someone has a genetic disorder doesn't mean his or her 
life is change for the worse. It just means he or she is a little different,
like I am. It doesn't change someone's quality of life in a bad way.
If anything, it improves quality of life because it makes a person
more aware of how blessed they are. At least that is how I view 
my own personal disorder. Others may disagree with me, but that
is something that really stood out to me on my trip to the sweat 
lodge in Alaska. And the best part about it? My mom's response 
when I took a sweaty picture of myself afterwards and sent it to her:


"You can sweat! YAY!"


No comments:

Post a Comment